Skip to content ↓

Nottingham Girls' Academy


Sometimes you or your child may come across things on the internet that are unwanted or you think are illegal. Here's what you can do about it.

  • Criminal images can be reported to the Internet Watch Foundation Reporting to the IWF is confidential and can be done anonymously. The IWF deals with: child sexual abuse images hosted anywhere in the world, criminally obscene adult content hosted in the UK, non-photographic child sexual abuse images or videos hosted in the UK i.e. computer-generated or cartoon imagery. Removing illegal online images: a parent’s guide to The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF)
  • If your child has been inappropriately contacted by an adult online (eg: sexual chat, being asked to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable or wanting to meet offline) report it to CEOP at
  • ParentPort brings together all of the media regulators and allows you to make complaints about online content via its website
  • You can also report directly to online and social media platforms and ask them to remove hateful or overly sexualised content.  Check their own terms and conditions and be prepared to quote them when you contact them to show their T&Cs have been contravened. Youi will find information on where to contact them in Digital Parenting magazine's Tools section.
  • The Information Commissioner’s website offers advice and support and information on reporting
  • True Vision is a police-funded site that provides information about hate crime. You can report all forms of hate crime there (eg: homophobic, transphobic, race, religious) at
  • Use flagging and reporting tools on individual websites. This is a useful article:  Reporting to social media sites.