Skip to content ↓

Nottingham Girls' Academy

How to withdraw my child from Sex Education?

Whilst we always try to work with parents and carers to explore their views, we also accept that parents and carers can exercise their right to excuse their child from the sex education elements of our programme (other than that which comes within the Science curriculum).

There is no right to withdraw from Relationships Education or Health Education. The parts of our programme related to sex education will be delivered mostly on drop down days by external providers who will work closely with our staff.

The RSHE we provide is planned to meet the needs of all pupils and give them the knowledge and skills they need to lead healthy lives. Withdrawing pupils from Sex Education can be detrimental and lead to them receiving less accurate, second-hand information from peers.

Requests for withdrawal Sex Education should be put in writing using the form below. This needs to be addressed to the Principal, who will then arrange to speak with parents and carers to explore their views and ensure that the nature and purpose of Sex Education is understood. A written record will be kept of this discussion.

Except in exceptional circumstances, the school will respect a parent’s right to excuse their child up until three terms before a pupil’s 16th birthday when the child can choose to be included in Sex Education. The process above is the same for pupils with SEND; however, in exceptional circumstances, the Principal may take account of a pupil’s specific needs arising from their SEND when deciding whether to agree to a withdrawal request.  

A copy of withdrawal requests will be placed in the pupil’s educational record. The Principal will discuss the request with parents and take appropriate action. Staff will plan appropriate, purposeful education for pupils who are withdrawn from sex education.

Please complete the form below, if you still wish to withdraw your child from the sex education aspects that are taught in term 2, under the Relationships unit in the PSHE curriculum. The form needs to be addressed to the Principal and emailed to alternatively you can send it in the post.