Mr A Gaskell - Head of Department
Mrs M Heron - Head of Year 9
Mr F Glover
Mr R Ahmad - Deputy Principal
Mr A Sharpe - Deputy Principal
At the Nottingham Girls' Academy we realise that Computing has a pivotal role to play in society. Our dedicated Computing suites have industry standard software applications and are staffed with Computing specialists.
We believe that Computing should empower pupils with the skills they require to function in the workplace and in society itself. In all years they are able to apply their knowledge to real world scenarios and projects, allowing them to explore the potential of the technologies available to them in society.
The aims of our Computing curriculum are:
- to expose pupils to a wide variety of industry standard software packages, enabling them with the skills and confidence to use in their future working environments.
- to allow pupils to explore the idea that Computing underpins so many of the everyday items they use today and to understand what they have replaced in the past and what effect they are having on societies and cultures as a whole.
- to ensure the skills they learn are commensurate to the other subjects they study, allowing more scope for learning the specifics of that course.
- to give pupils a firm foundation which allows them to use Computing skills in their coursework and examinations in all subjects. They can then focus fully on bringing an enhanced quality to their work throughout KS4 and KS5.
KEY STAGE 3
In KS3, all pupils take Computing. The classes are set and are taught by the Computing team. Years 7, 8 and 9 have two 50 minute lessons each week. The schemes ensure pupils are kept engaged, developing and continually improving their functional, literacy and numeracy skills. All our course materials are developed by our own staff to ensure that they meet the precise needs of our pupils. We are currently re-designing our schemes of work to further stretch and challenge our learners and to cater for new technological developments.
KEY STAGE 4
At KS4, computing becomes an optional course which allows pupils to study for a qualification that is equivalent to a GCSE. At this level, the classes are mixed ability and are run by a teacher with relevant industry experience outside of the educational sphere.
Information about the specific qualification will be included here once the new list of qualifications has been ratified by the DfE.
Assessment: Work is assessed by a portfolio of work that is internally assessed and externally verified, along with an exam that is externally marked.
Learners gain a nationally recognized vocational qualification which will enable them to progress to Level 3 courses with confidence.
KEY STAGE 5
At KS5, computing is still an optional course and it allows pupils to study for the Level 3 Cambridge Technical in Information Technology, which is equivalent to an A-level. Classes are mixed ability, and are run by a teacher with relevant business experience outside of the educational sphere. Students have 5 hours of lesson time per week and are expected to commit the same amount of time to completing IT work outside of the classroom.
Students will require a minimum of five GCSEs or equivalent at grade 4 (BTEC Pass) or above including Mathematics and English.
The course comprises of three mandatory units and two other units from a small list. The mandatory units are:
- Unit 1: Fundamentals of IT
- Unit 2: Global Information
- Unit 3: Cyber Security
All units are coursework-based and graded and an overall grade for the qualification is awarded. The units are internally assessed and graded by teachers. An overall grade for the qualification is awarded upon successful completion of all units. Grades awarded are at Pass, Merit or Distinction level.
The course is vocational, helping to prepare pupils to enter the modern world of work, Modern Apprenticeship or to continue their studies at University. Coursework assignments are practical in nature and encompass real world learning at all times.
For further information about the syllabus visit the following web address: