The Nottingham Girls' Academy (in line with government directives) expects pupils to attend school for at least 95% of the time. This equates to half a day's absence every two weeks. If a pupil is absent for a whole day their attendance for that week drops to 80%.
Where possible, family holidays should not be taken during term time. The Academy is not obliged to authorise any absences due to family holidays. Ten school days absence taken as a holiday in a year will reduce a pupil's attendance to 95% immediately. Any further absence due to illness will bring the attendance down below the Academy target.
Parents have a responsibility for ensuring their child attends the Academy regularly and punctually. The Academy expects that all parents communicate with them, either in writing or by telephone, giving a reason:
- In advance of any planned absence.
- Immediately following any unplanned absence.
- During any absence expected to last more than three days.
Failure to comply with this requirement will mean that your child will have unauthorised absences on their attendance record and this could lead to a referral to the Education Welfare Service.
Pupils should inform a member of staff of any problem or reason that may prevent them from attending the Academy.
Parents should contact the Nottingham Girls' Academy, in confidence, whenever a problem occurs that may affect their child's attendance. Regular attendance means arriving on time for the start of the Academy day. It is the parent's responsibility to ensure their child gets to the Academy on time.
Parents of pupils who are regularly late will be contacted so we can work together to rectify the situation. Where no improvement is made, the Education Welfare Service will be informed.
POOR ATTENDANCE = POOR ATTAINMENT!
Some absences which are considered avoidable will be left unauthorised by the Nottingham Girls' Academy. These include:
- Trivial illness
- Looking after a sick relative
- Minding the house or waiting for workmen/deliveries etc
- Packing or getting ready for a holiday or trip or collecting relatives from the airport/station
- Being on holiday
- Looking after brothers and sisters, including dropping them off at the Academy or nursery
- Helping with housework or family business
- Being unhappy or not getting on with others at the Academy
Please read our Attendance Policy by clicking the link here.
Mrs W Chapman